This was a pleasant surprise 🙂
At this Infocomm123 article, their resident blogger Daniel Tsou listed me as one of the three online Creative Commons musicians he’s come across:
He calls me:
A local musician who writes great music, some of which are even used on local podcasts such as Simply Geek!
It’ll be super cool if he wrote that I’m a librarian in there, somewhere. But I’m not complaining! Just very tickled to be called a musician.
I couldn’t help but think about how the dots connected.
Daniel is one of the guys over at Tech65. Other than one or two emails and one Skype chat, I don’t really know him (in case any one wonders if I prodded him to be included in the article, heh).
I didn’t meet Daniel directly. It was through one of his Tech65 counterpart, Chinmay, who attended this GarageBand meetup in 2008 that I organised. Chinmay said he was recording podcast episodes for their online show.
Think it was about a year later when Chinmay emailed to let me know he was using my CC-licensed track for their podcasts. Which later led to them inviting me on episode 12 of Simply Geek. That’s when I first conversed with Daniel. Which led to the Infocomm123 article.
That’s how the dots connected.
About a year ago, I bought my second-hand Fender Stratocaster. It’s one of my favourite guitar now.
But a few days ago, the volume knob became loose. I could feel the entire volume control unit (beneath the pick guard; that’s the large white plate you see on the guitar body) move. Not good. And then the sounds was intermittent. Definitely not good.
I loosened the pick guard screws to access the inner workings. Several problems were apparent.
The volume control unit: After some time examining how it was bolted on (at first I thought it was glued to the pick guard from beneath), I discovered a hex nut held it in place. To access the hex nut, I pried off the plastic volume knob with a small flathead screwdriver. Then tightened the nut.
OK, one problem solved.
The other problems was less straight-forward (although to a guitar tech, they are simple problems).
Basically, the wiring and connections was broken and/ or loose. Needed to be re-soldered.
There was a soldering iron at home but I needed soldering tin. Bought some the next day. Then got to work.
Removed all the guitar strings. Loosened the pick guard screws.
Flipped the pick guard over and this was what I saw:
Took the chance to examine the pickup wirings.
The problem areas:
- Spot #1: The picture shows the volume control unit. There’s a hard wire that’s soldered to the other two tone controls. The connection was broken. Must have been due to the loose nut.
- Spot #2: Frayed and loose wirings.
- Spot #3: Loose connection to one of the soldered points of the pickup selector switch.
Here’s a closeup of the pick up selector switch:
Right after I took those pictures, I went to work. I don’t have a lot of practical experience or skill in soldering. Steady hands required, for sure. In the end, I managed to muddle through and not burn up anything.
Re-strung the guitar. Works well now.