“Grandfather Dragon” (#27: Project 365 Sketches)
Sketch Club app; iPad | Hi-Res image (1536 x 2048).
2013, Sun 27 Jan. This started, earlier in the month, as an accidental doodle and discovering the mirroring feature in the app. The doodle looked like a dragon’s face and I expanded on that. It took me about a week and several tried to compose a satisfactory pose. #365sketches
How it was done
1. This was done with the Sketchy tool, set to mirror. I started with the eyes and worked outwards to make the head.
2. On a separate layer, I did a quick sketch of a pose. Getting a satisfactory pose was the hardest part for me. Various versions as follows.
3. These were too snake-like.
4. This looked more promising and at that point, I thought this would be the final version.
5. I did a quick paint layer, to get a feel of the possible colour scheme to adopt.
6. When I revisited the sketch, I decided the earlier pose wasn’t quite it. I managed to find a reference on Google images and adapted the pose.
7. After painting in the body area, I discovered a happy unintended accident: setting a Fill layer to an Overlay setting created an interesting and somewhat glowing outline effect. I decided that would make a nice deep blue-black dragon. I used an Eraser tool to ‘paint’ the outline. Then utilised a Brush setting and ‘erased’ out the body highlights.
8. I shifted and downsized the head slightly, then brushed in the head colouring.
9. Then it was more detailing, painting in the wispy clouds (Particles setting) etc.
Unless otherwise stated, all works by Ivan Chew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Singapore License. AS LONG AS YOU ATTRIBUTE MY WORK TO ME (Ivan Chew, MyRightBrain.wordpress.com), you are FREE to COPY, SHARE, MODIFY, or SELL (yes, SELL!) content from this blog. And you do not need to pay me anything from what you do with the content(if you do, I'd be very grateful but that's not really required of the license). Do remember to ATTRIBUTE whatever you use here, to me. For permissions beyond the scope of this license, please contact me via MyRightBrain.wordpress.com or at RamblingLibrarian@gmail.com